Lesson Plan: Chilean Election
Lead-in: Why have people voted for each of the two main candidates? What are their main strengths/weaknesses? What are the relevant trends/events in Chilean politics?
Part 1: Listen to this audio. Did they mention any of the things you talked about?
Do you know the answer to these questions? Listen again and find out.
- Why is this result suprising in terms of the Chilean context?
- What did Kast’s supporters say?
- Why is this particular to Chile?
- Why is this globally relevant?
- How is Kast different to Bolsonaro?
Match the two halves of the sentence:
|He wound up||United States here.|
|These two go to||what it should be.|
|The country’s figuring out||with 28%|
|He believes Chile’s left||a run-off in a month’s time|
|I hear echoes of the||to vote for a moderate rightist.|
|Wressler would have preferred||has become too radical over the last few years.|
Part 2: Read this article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/22/jose-antonio-kast-chile-right-wing-presidential-election
What does it say about Boric? Kast? Provoste? Parisi?
Find a word that matches the following definitions:
- j______________________ (adj): happy, excited, joyful.
- c______________________(v): reversed, confused, contradicted
- b_____________________ (adj): shocking, invigorating
- m_____________________(v): making fun of, teasing, joking about.
- b________________________ (n): weight, influence, relevance
Part 3: Political trends
What have been the different political trends in recent Chilean history? How do you think this election relates to these trends?
- What happened with the protests and the convention?
- How is Kast different from the other candidates in this election?
- What is he like as a campaigner?
- What vision does Boric have for Chile?
- What has happened to the political center recently?
- What would a Boric or Kast presidency mean for the constitutional convention?
- What does Ana think Chile can expect in the future?
|There have been massive advances||a political act.|
|If Kast wins in the second round,||in the coming months.|
|That might be deemed||he will probably clash with the protestors.|
|If Kast were to win,||offers the stability the country needs.|
|It seems clear to me that neither Kast nor Boric||for average Chileans|
|We can expect to see more instability||you would probably see a backlash on the streets|
Part 4: Why do you think Parisi received so many votes? Who do you think his voters will vote for in the second round?