Lesson Plan: 32 hour week
Do you think the working week should be reduced to 32 hours? Why? Why not? What could the benefits/disadvantages be for employees/employers/ the society in general?
Watch this video, and find some answers to those questions.
Discussion: Do you think that could happen in your workplace?
- What prompted the CEO to start the 32 hour week
- What does treehouse do?
- Why does Andrew like the 32 hour week?
- What did the CFO think when the 32 hour week was proposed? How did he change his mind?
- Why does Ryan think that people don’t implement a week like this? Why does he think that’s wrong?
Complete the sentences with these words: truth, came up, anymore, about, came home, handful
- I think it really _____________ when I had kids.
- We ___________________ with the idea of the 32-hour work week when I was sitting on the couch with my wife.
- Henry is a ___________________ ; he’s need a lot more attention.
- I’m not a sceptic ___________________.
- The ______________ is a lot of CEOs are workaholics
- I think this is __________________ having a balanced total life
Discussion: Do you think this could work in your company?
Part 2: Reading
In groups of four, each person chooses one of these articles.
Summarise the argument, by answering the following questions
- What does the writer propose?
- Why reasons does he give?
- What effects will the proposal have?
- What do you think about the proposal?
Explain the argument to your group. Which do you find more convincing?
Part 3: Bonus
How do you think the 40 hour week was achieved? Listen to this and find out:
What events led up to the 40 hour week? What does the historian think will happen in the future?