Lesson Plan: the Olympics
What do you think are the most important things about the Tokyo Olympics? Are you enjoying them? Why/ why not?
Watch this video: What did you find out about them?
Answer the following questions.
- What new sports are being debuted in these Olympic games?
- What is the age of the youngest skateboarder in the Olympics? the oldest?
- Why is it special for karate to be new in the Olympics?
- What were the Coronavirus measures put into place?
- What difference will not having spectatators make?
- What do the Japanese population think about the games?
- What are some interesting athletes to watch?
Match the following sentences:
|For a while there, it didn’t look like they were even gonna happen,||70 pages of rules about testing, mask wearing and travel logistics.|
|I want to show them that it doesn’t matter||you can’t really hear much anyway.|
|There’s a whole playbook of do’s and don’ts for athletes –||but now it’s game on.|
|At the end of the day when you’re racing||more recent polls show that number is down to around 30 percent.|
|Back in May, a poll showed that 83 percent of people wanted the games canceled or postponed, although||these are looking like the most expensive olympics in history.|
|If you count up all the money spent on venues, sponsorship and partnership deals, media, advertising and at the extra cost of postponing the games.||about your size your age, you can do anything.|
Discussion: Do you think the games should go ahead? Do you think the Olympic games are important?
2. What could be some costs and benefits to hosting the Olympic games for a city?
Watch this video. Were any of your ideas included?:
What do the following numbers mean:
12 billion dollars, decades, 15 billion dollars, 150 million dollars, fewer visitors, 6 billion,
- Cost of first Tokyo bid
- Cost of Tokyo Olympics
- Average cost of Olympic games in the 2007-2016
- Time taken for Montreal to pay off its debt
- Revene from advertising in recent summer games
- What happened in London on the year of the Olympics?
What are some ways cities can make money from the games? How can they lose money? What are some non-monetary reasons for hosting the games?
Complete these sentences with these words: toll, reportedly, blamed, point out, worth, maintained
- Is hosting the olympics and paralympics really ____________- it all?
- It’s _________________ set to be the most costly summer games ever, though past events didn’t come cheap
- In greece the cost of the 2004 olympics in athens has been _____________________ for contributing to the country’s later economic crisis.
- Rio de Janeiro’s olympic park hosts events like music festivals and esports tournaments but parts of it have been criticized for being poorly ________________________.
- This can take a heavy______________ on the environment and critics__________________ the construction of new olympic sites every few years is not environmentally sustainable
Reading: read this article: https://theconversation.com/hosting-the-olympics-cash-cow-or-money-pit-7403
Discussion: Do you think cities should continue to host the games?