Lesson Plan: Timelapse with Google Earth
- How do you think the place you live and your country have changed since 1984?
- Watch this video. How has the world changed over this time?
What is the video and words trying to say?
Complete the following test with these words:
ever, own, enduring, spinning, way, determine
There’s a place in our universe, a marble ___________________ in a vacuum… It contains life. It contains us. It may look solid and ______________________, but now we can see it differently, across time, living… And breathing. Across time we can see that we, all of us, are changing this place faster than _____________________ before. We can see the impact of the _________________we live… Of the choices we make… And see their consequences. There’s a place in our universe. How we decide to treat it today will ____________________________ our future. What will you think, what will you do when you see our world changing before your __________________________ eyes?
Look at your city in google images timelapse: How has it changed? https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/ What do you think are some of the reasons for that change?
- Reading. What do you think we can find out about the world from google timelapse? Read this articles and find out:
Are the following true or false?
- Google timelapse just shows negative impacts of humanity
- Brandt generally works on projects for the public.
- Brandt thinks the best way to reduce our carbon is to change our transport habits
- By 2030 Google aims to only use sustainable energy to power the company
- Brandt wants politicians to also use the tool
- our fragile planet / /have returned /renewed passion / Many astronauts / home with a /for protecting
- warms / Watch how / as the planet / in Greenland / has melted / sea ice/
- similar power / We think / as having a / to educate / about Timelapse
- just 37 years/ the planet / We’ve impacted/ so much in
- impact at scale/ It was / to drive / a huge opportunity
Discussion: Explore google timelapse. What other changes can you find? Do you think humanity will be able to make enough changes in time?