Lesson Plan: Infections Rising
Lead-in: Look at the title of the video. What do you think it will be about?
Watch the video. Were you right?
What is the answer to these questions?
- What is so bad about this second wave?
- Who are the patients in the intensive care units?
- How many people have received the vaccine?
- How does herd immunity come into effect?
- Why are the medical staff so tired?
- What does Dr. Ugarte think about the government strategy?
|People over 70||over 80% of Chileans must be vaccinated.|
|Chile’s second wave||doctors and nurses concede that they are exhausted|
|In order for herd immunity to be effective||have almost disappeared from our emergency rooms|
|Back at the hospital||but to contain it.|
|Chileans suffering from pandemic burnout||is turning out to be far more aggressive than the first|
|The strategy was not to suppress the pandemic||have clearly let down their guard.|
Discussion: What do you think about the government’s strategy?
Reading: Look at the three graphs in the article. What do they show about COVID in Chile at the moment?
Read the article: Were you right about the graphs?
Are the following true or false?
- Chile is the best country in the world in terms of vaccines
- In a lockdown, Chileans need a permit to do exercise
- There is more than one type of virus in Chile
- 6 million people have received the Sinovac vaccine
- The message from the government was clear
- People coming back from overseas have to stay for 10 days in a hotel.
Combine the word and its definition:
|trail||a situation where people are confined to their homes|
|lockdown||to push into a small space|
Discussion: What do you think can be done about the situation in Chile?