Lesson Plan: Vaccines in Chile
Lead-in: How has Chile gone in the vaccines? What are difficulties of supplying vaccines to a country?
Watch this video: What are the good things that Chile is doing?
Watch the video again. Are the following true or false?
- Chile has converted many different places into vaccine clinics
- Nicaragua hasn’t received any vaccines yet
- The president is eligible for the vaccine because he is a politician
- The vaccine schedule is adhered to very strictly.
- Chile wants to vaccinate 100% of its citizens in the first half of 2021.
|Chile is||5 million people by the end of March|
|This woman described the process||like making an early start on getting the vaccines have made the difference.|
|The country of nearly 19 million had||rolling out some impressive numbers.|
|Key decisions||that is being followed to the letter|
|Chilean authorities came up with a vaccine schedule||already given 1 million vaccines by February 9th.|
|The goal is vaccinating||as fantastic and very well organised.|
Of the above sentences, which are the present perfect, past perfect and present progressive? Why are those tenses used?
Discussion: Do you think Chile will make it’s goals? Will this make a difference politically? What about in your country?
Part 2: Reading
What do you think these titles refer to, in terms of Chile’s vaccine success?
- Economic manoeuvring
- Picking many winners
- Trial data for doses
Reading this article quickly, and find out:
Read it again, and answer the following questions.
- What makes Chile different from other countries in Latin America and the OECD countries?
- what has been happening in Chile since 2019?
- What argument did the president make to pharmaceutical companies?
- What vaccine strategy did Chile follow that was different to European strategies?
- How did Chilean universities help?
- How did the health system help?
Match the expressions with their meanings:
|to paint||a problem|
|a sticking point||to increase|
|paid off||to describe|
Discussion: Do you think it will help the president’s approval rating?