Lesson plan: Exploring Pompeii
- a) What happened at Pompeii? Why was it so important?
Watch this video and find out.
b) Put the events in order.
- Volcanic column give away
- Molten rock leak from earth’s crust
- Volcano erupt
- Volcanic material fall over 24 hours
- Pompeii rediscovered
- An affluent, vibrant, progressive hub.
- Victims encased in ash
c) Retell the story, using the following adverbial and adjectival phrases, and putting the verbs in the right tense:
inactive for centuries, as the eruption continued, deep inside Vesuvius, 16 hours after the first eruption, by accident, in the morning of August 24th, 79 AD, finally
2. a) Watch the video: What are the main attractions of Pompeii?
b) What were the following places?
- Main square, or forum
- House of verdi
- Stepping stones
Place these sentences in the passive voice. Watch the video to check.
- The romans built it in brick and mortar, a Roman invention.
- They originally faced it with gleaming marble.
- They ringed the gardens with colourfully frescoed rooms.
- The slaves massaged them for 20-30 minutes.
- The columns support the floor.
3 a) Where would you like to visit in Pompeii? Look at this map and plan a trip:
b) Go on a trip to Pompeii: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pompeii+Archaeological+Parkemail@example.com,14.4804438,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x133bbcbd87d1ea83:0x7ca462808e529b35!8m2!3d40.7482435!4d14.4820746?hl=en
Use this guide to understand what you are looking at: http://pompeiisites.org/wp-content/uploads/A-Guide-to-the-Pompeii-Excavations-2.pdf